Herobrine

Herobrine is a dead miner/ghost who roams Minecraft. It is said that he is the brother  of the developer of Minecraft, Notch. He haunts the Minecraft worlds that Minecraft players live in. Some people believe that he is just a Minecraft hacker who hacks into other peoples worlds. Sometimes he does it just because it’s funny to scare people, and sometimes he actually kills the player. There is even a story of someone who saw Herobrine and what happened. This is the first known sighting of Herobrine in Minecraft:

I had recently spawned in a new world in single-player Minecraft. Everything was normal at first as I began chopping down trees and crafting a workbench. I noticed something move among the dense fog (I have a very slow computer so I have to play with tiny render distance). I thought it was a cow, so I pursued it, hoping to grab some hides for armor.

It wasn’t a cow though. Looking back at me was another player character with the default skin, but his eyes were empty. I saw no name pop-up, and I double-checked to make sure I wasn’t in multiplayer mode. He didn’t stay long, he looked at me and quickly ran into the fog. I pursued out of curiosity, but he was gone.

I continued on with the game, not sure what to think. As I expanded the world, I saw things that seemed out of place for the random map generator to make; 2×2 tunnels in the rocks, small perfect pyramids made of sand in the ocean, and groves of trees with all their leaves cut off. I would constantly think I saw the other “player” in the deep fog, but I never got a better look at him. I tried increasing my render distance to far whenever I thought I saw him, but to no avail.

I saved the map and went on the forums to see if anyone else had found the pseudo-player. There were none. I created my own topic telling of a man and asking if anyone had a similar experience. The post was deleted within five minutes. I tried again, and the topic was deleted even faster. I received a PM from the username ‘Herobrine’ containing one word: ‘Stop.’ When I went to look at Herobrine’s profile, the page 404′d(or wouldn’t let me open it).

I received an email from  another forum user. He claimed the mods can read the forum user messages, so we are safer using email. The emailer claimed that he had seen the mystery player too, and had a small ‘directory’ of other users who had seen him as well. Their worlds were littered with obviously man-made features as well, and described their mystery player to have no pupils.

About a month passed until I heard from my informant again. Some people who had encountered the mystery man had looked into the name Herobrine and found that name to be frequently used by a Swedish gamer. After some further information gathering, it was revealed to be the brother of Notch, the game’s developer. I personally emailed Notch, and asked if he had a brother. It took him awhile, but he emailed me back a very short message:

‘I did, but he is no longer with us.’

-Notch

I haven’t seen the mystery man since our first encounter, and I haven’t noticed any changes to my world, other than my own. I was able to press ‘print screen’ when I first saw him. That was the only evidence I had of his existence.

From the original creepy-pasta, Herobrine creates random constructions, such as pyramids and long 2-block-high tunnels. He also burns down, or cuts off leaves from trees, and creates cobblestone-complexes underground, much like dungeons, lit with redstone torches.

Herobrine first appeared in a single image detailing an encounter. It was posted on a thread in the forums, and gained very little attention. It stated how Herobrine had appeared in someone’s single-player game, littering the map with various pyramids and tunnels. It is the first media to name him as Herobrine.

It was only later that Herobrine grew in popularity, when the Brocast staff staged a hoax in one of their live-streams. Herobrine was introduced to the stream here (at 20:45).

Later on, there was another video showing Herobrine in a user-made lava field. The livestream went down after the player ran and saved, only to resume ten minutes later, where Herobrine had disappeared.

During this stream, the player can be heard talking to his wife, stating he was trolling, which flooded the livestream chat with outrage. The player then faked a game crash.

During this crash, all watchers were redirected to another page, featuring Steve’s face, but with real, frantically rolling eyes in the place of his block eyes, modified to be completely black.

When viewing the page’s source, there were a jumble of characters and letters. after removing all non-alphabet characters, the following message was revealed.

It has been reported that some victims of torture, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren’t being tortured. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP.

All of his appearances in the stream are retextured paintings or doors. Through recreating the scene, it’s been determined that paintings were used. The quality of the retexturing was made possible as it was a high-resolution texture pack.The message keeps telling the viewer to “wake up”, implying they’re living in a fantasy world, and this text hidden in the page is their “note”.
Since then, there has been a huge increase in his popularity, propelling Herobrine to meme status, and making him an icon of the community. There are several mods, animations, pieces of artwork and constructions of Herobrine that have been created.

Herobrine is described in two forms: Canonical and Community.

Canonical: Herobrine is Notch’s dead brother, somehow embedded into Minecraft. While this is the “canon”, this is also completely false in reality, as Notch has no brother.

Ghost aside, there are two plausible canon theories remaining.

Herobrine shows a lot of characteristics of being a form of virus, such as manipulating game worlds, deleting threads and sending messages through the Minecraft Forums. Perhaps also hacking into Notch’s email and twitter to reply on his own existence. Or, Herobrine is simply a figment of the users imagination. All users the user talked to, including Notch’s email reply, could simply be the creation of the player’s mind. this would also explain Notch’s rejection of the canon, as showing the story is all in the user’s head.

Herobrine is near-certainly inspired by Slenderman, who is also the inspiration behind Endermen.Herobrine is a human entity, with the exact same skin as “Steve”. However Herobrine has bright white eyes that glow in the darkness, as if they are a light source. Herobrine is said to have the ability to run in Minecraft. This is indicated by the original source. The brocast stream portrays him as almost always stood up straight, with arms to his sides, watching the player. He is not seen to physically move within the brocast stream, but he moves location during the stream. It is unknown if Herobrine can swim, use Minecarts, Boats or nether portals. Like most ghosts, it’s likely he simply has no use for most methods of transportation.

Herobrine is able to build and destroy in Minecraft. The original image states the player found long 2×2 tunnels, small pyramids in the middle of the ocean and trees with no leaves. The full extent of Herobrine’s building capacity is unknown, but the given examples indicate Herobrine has awareness of shape, and can differentiate materials from each other.

Herobrine seems to solely target Human players. He did not seem to interact with any other mobs nearby in the brocast stream, some of which were Spiders and Zombies. His canonical relation to further mobs added since he appeared is a complete mystery. His interactions with other mobs is not mentioned in the original image. While there is a chicken present in the image, Herobrine does not seem interested in it at all, and is solely focused on the player.

In Stalker variation, he stalks the player, disappearing if approached. This variation is derived from his origins.

Community: The most popular theories among users is that Herobrine is a ghost. Other theories can involve him being a higher being, a demon, a bad omen, or the suggestions in the Canonical explaination. However, most of these are written as if Minecraft itself is reality, rather than from the player controlling the avatar within the game. Herobrine canonically has not appeared in real life, and remains confined to technology.

Herobrine can sometimes be seen holding tools, such as pickaxes. This stems from the widespread community belief that Herobrine was a Miner. Usually, his hands are empty.

Herobrine is often portrayed by the community as a dead miner, killed long before the player’s arrival. His appearance, however, does not suggest either of these are the case. But, with Minecraft’s abandoned mineshafts and strongholds, as well as Mining being a large part of Minecraft, the gameplay of the game has shaped public perception of the character to suit this persona.

Much like angered Enderman, Herobrine is widely believed to move via teleportation. Nearly all of the community actually reject the canon, describing him as running.

Herobrine cannot fly, and no variation states this as “canonical”. However, he appears to be able to glide. Which is to say, moving in directions without physically moving, while not moving upwards. This is usually evident in retreating back into fog.

Herobrine is often portrayed with his head crooked or twitching. This is likely due to him being seen moreso as a virus/creepy entity in Minecraft, rather than a ghost.

Herobrine has, on occasion, interacted with other mobs. He is sometimes able to take control of passive animals, and revive/spawn undead mobs

Herobrine seems able to drastically change his environments with no viable source of resources to do so. Most expansions to his abilities involves cobblestone placing, dungeon building, using redstone torches and setting traps. He exhibits all the symptoms of a Creative player in the game.

Herobrine seems unable to enter The Nether, or The End.

In the Vengeful variation, he tries to ensnare the player in traps, presumably to steal their items. He waits for people to enter his dungeons, then either seals them inside, or teleports behind them, presumably killing them. Some rarer variations of this particular version says he breaks the player’s creations, and steals their items from chests. This variation is likely inspired by griefers and trolls.

Herobrine also appears in some mojang images:

Herobrine has appeared in official Mojang images as an “in” joke.

His first appearance in official Mojang images started with the Wedding Weekend, in which he was just behind Notch’s Minecraft character. His second appearance was in the Minecon header, where, yet again, Herobrine was just behind Notch.

Herobrine also appeared in the the official Minecon trailer, created by Hatfilms, at 3:11. However, as users were asked to submit their skins to appear in the trailer, this is likely not intentional.

Herobrine was also spotted at the Xbox section of Minecon. He was on the board, behind the Xbox stations.

Some users point to this as proof of his future addition. However, there is no proof he is being portrayed for anything other than baiting fans.

Herobrine also appeared in Minecraft’s Facebook page, the image being the Cover Photo. It is notable to state the image was created by the fan for a competition, with the theme of “summer picnic”, hence his inclusion may not be fully intentional.

Herobrine was first stated to have been removed in Minecraft Beta v1.6.6. This was a joke, referring to Notch partially removing the Human mob’s essential code, making it unspawnable within Minecraft. An ulterior motive was to troll the community, as this was around the time Herobrine had gained mematic status within the community.

Below is a table, showing every version Herobrine has been “removed” in to-date.

Version Reason
Beta 1.6.6 Removal of essential Human code, as well as to toy with the community.
Beta 1.7 No reasons for the entry/Toying with the community
Beta 1.7_01 No reasons for the entry/Toying with the community
Beta 1.8 “Adventure Update” No reasons for the entry/Toying with the community
1.0 “Full Release” No reasons for the entry/Toying with the community
1.2 No reasons for the entry/Toying with the community. Only noted on the Tumblr version of the changelog, viewed through the launcher.
1.2.5 Removal of all “ghost entities”. Changelog entry read: “Removed all ghost entities under the command of Lord Herobrine”.
1.3.1 No reasons for the entry/Toying with the community
1.4.2 No reasons for the entry/Toying with the community Only noted on the Tumblr version of the changelog, viewed through the launcher.
Also, there was a mod/modification created about him called the ‘Herobrine Mod.’ The ‘Herobrine Mod’ is a mod where you can summon Herobrine. You need to build a totem with 2 blocks of gold on top of each other, then a Herobrine totem block on top, and on top of the Herobrine totem block, you place netherrack. Then you light the top of the totem on fire. The eyes on the Herobrine totem block should turn red, which means that he is officially in the player’s game. You walk around and Herobrine will appear out nowhere and start doing what the actual Herobrine does. He build traps for you and he sometimes will try to kill you. Rarely, you can see a Notch character spawn and when Herobrine spawns, he will try to kill Notch.
I have played this mod, and actually, it’s a really good mod. I like the way the mod maker designed it.
There are also many legends about him. Some are made up just as ghost stories, and other could be true. I still don’t know if there really is a Herobrine in the game, but all I know is that I’ve never encountered him and there are still many secrets about him that we don’t know, but eventually, we will find out the real story behind Herobrine…

2 thoughts on “Herobrine

1. joking not herobrine
    i believe in him but i have never seen him but i have found 2 paintings that i never placed